The main activities of the GNB are as follows:
- To coordinate university education in the field of Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering.
- To stimulate research in the sector through joint projects and through the establishment of scholarships and study awards
- To promote knowledge of bioengineering and its applications in the society.
- To encourage contacts between the world of academic and industrial research.
- To sponsor or directly handle the publication of periodicals and books also with agreements with publishing houses.
- To organize meetings, congresses, educational courses and the like in Italy and abroad, including in cooperation with similar bodies.
- To promote Italian participation in international initiatives in the sector of bioengineering.
- To promote contacts with national or international associations that have similar interests.